Chontay was once and ancient resting stop or tambo on the way to Pachacamac from Juaja. The pre-Inca tambo building that existed was destroyed by the Spanish who built a church of the same proportions in its place in the 1630s. The bell is almost as old, from 1794. Some ruins can still be found, along with farming terraces which were once used to grow cereals and coca.
Santa Rosa de Chontay, as the name suggests, is also famous for its rose-filled central plaza.